Health Service for the USA
A National Health Service for the United States of America is long overdue. All industralized countries have health services for all its citizens. America has has a health service for its rich. America has a health service driven by profit margins for the rich. It’s ordinary citizens are entitled to health care. Health Care is a right not a privilege. Health Care should not be a businees for profiteering from the misfortunes of the ill and unfortunate. Health care for all costs less. This has been shown to be true in Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. It is abut time America learned from others.
The author is a Registered Nurse who has worked in the UK for 10 Years, Canada for 10 years, USA for three years and Australia for four years.
On July 9, 2009 I wrote an article titled, Why the United States Needs a National Health Service. It can be read at: http://newsflavor.com/opinions/why-the-united-states-needs-a-national-health-care-plan/
I watch CNN, BBC and Fox news regularly. I see all the forecasters of doom and gloom on fox news. None of the commentators could see anything positive about a national health service. They could not see that their next door neighbours, the Canadians are very happy with their Health Service. I am a Canadian and am very happy with the Canadian Health Service. Yes we have to sometimes wait for surgery. What’s wrong with having to wait for elective surgery? When I was in a motor vehicle accident I was taken to Hospital, treated and received care better than the American System where I would first be asked who I am insured with. I have had this experience in the US. Fortunately, when I was in the US I had two policies. So I did not have to pay a co-payment. In Canada we never have to pay co-payment.
Fox news followers, be warned, private insurance plans feed the rich and the famous. If you are an ordinary person you will be better off with a national health service. Here are some of the advantages of a national health service.
1. Everybody is entitled to health care. So there is no need to sell insurance policies and feed greedy executives and share holders.
2. Pre-existing conditions. Not a problem. You will be treated.
3. Too many claims. Not a problem. You will be treated.
4. Unemployed. Not a problem. You will be treated.
5. Divorced. Not a problem. You will be treated.
6. Everyone will be treated. Yes, everyone will be treated.
7. Will the employed be taxed to death? No. Tax payers in Britain, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada are alive and well.
8. Caring for more people (the masses) is cheaper than caring for a few privileged who want to be treated like gods.
10. All other countries spend less than 10 % of GDP on Health Care.
11. In all other countries the people live longer. That Americans have the best Health Care is a BIG LIE. If they had the best health care they would live longer.
12. In all other countries the infant mortality rate is lower. This is because national health services serve all.
13. National Health services are cheaper to run than private health services which cater for the needs of the insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, doctors and share holders.
14. National Health Services are in national interest. Private health services serve private needs.
15. National Health Services can respond to national needs on a large scale.
16. National Health Service provides for uniformity of care, easier movement of staff and patients.
17. All industrialized nations have national health services except the United States.
18. Health Care is a right not a privilege of the rich, employed and gifted.
19. National health service means quality care for all.
National Health Service is a right. It should not be a business for the rich to get richer. National Health service will cost less than private health service. Image via Wikipedia