Dumb and Funny Laws of South Carolina
Think Civil War.
I found these laws on www.dumblaws.com More for the state of South Carolina can be found through the site.
1. It is illegal to display a confederate flag on a courthouse.
Interesting. The Civil War had to play into this. There is no arguing around that.
2. By law, if a man promises to marry an unmarried woman, the marriage must take place. Full text of the law.
That’s why you have to be careful with what you say.
3. Railroad companies may be held liable in some instances for scaring horses. Full text of the law.
Then don’t try to rob the train.
4. A railroad my not remove itself from a town of more than five hundred people. Full text of the law.
Those of you who live in a small town may have to get to the next closest town that has more than 500 people and a train station.
5. Fortune tellers are required to obtain a special permit from the state. Full text of the law.
As opposed to to other laws stating that you must be an amateur to be a fortune teller.
6. Performing a U-turn within 1,000 feet of an intersection is illegal.
You’re in no luck with this one.
7. It is considered an offense to get a tattoo.
Now, I have found plenty of information that makes this law ineffective to arrest anyone. As for tattoos being offensive to others, well, no offense, that’s their problem. Please visit http://tattoojoy.com/tattoo_laws/united_states,south_carolina,1.htm for more information. This site will also lead you to the laws of tattooing in other states as well.
8. It is perfectly legal to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sundays.
That is very morally wrong on several levels.
9. Every adult male must bring a rifle to church on Sunday in order to ward off Indian attacks.
I emphasize what I said in the law above, especially in the concern of wives.
10. It is a capital offense to inadvertently kill someone while attempting suicide.
Understandable. Then again that is why it is illegal to attempt suicide. Not only because you are a danger to yourself, you are also a danger to those around you.