Occupy Wall Street eBooks
Zuccotti Park, formerly called Liberty Plaza Park, in lower Manhattan, where the Occupy Wall Street rally is located, is privately owned by Brookfield Properties. The park was created in 1968 by US Steel, after the property owners negotiated its creation with city officials, and named Liberty Plaza Park and situated beside One Liberty Plaza.. It is located between Broadway, Trinity Place, Liberty Street and Cedar Street.
Image via Wikipedia
The park was renamed Zuccotti Park in honor of John Zuccotti, former City Planning Commission chairman and first deputy mayor under Abe Beman and now the chairman of Brookfield Properties.
Image by PAVDW via Flickr
New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said on September 28, 2011, that the police could not bar protesters from Zuccotti Park since it is a public plaza that is required to stay open 24 hours a day. “In building this plaza, there was an agreement it be open 24 hours a day,” Kelly said. “The owners have put out regulations [about what's allowed in park]. The owners will have to come in and direct people not to do certain things.”
.. the park has not been cleaned since Friday, September 16th and as a result, sanitary conditions have reached unacceptable levels.” To protect and clean the park, protesters volunteered to sweep the areas of the plaza and posted signs urging each other to avoid damaging the flower beds.
Occupants were advised to clear the park on October 14 by 7 AM, however, shortly before this time facing potential of a confrontation, the owners withdrew the request.
The Demands Working Group of the Occupy Wall Street movement met in a storage space in Giusepe’s office across the street—demands were being formulated to ask for a ban on people under age 21 serving in combat, a tax surcharge on millionaires and billionaires and a repeal of Big Oil tax credits to fund consumer protection legislation and benefits.
Coincidentally, Zuccotti Park is the setting for “Bodonis,” a novellette by me good fiend and web professor, John Blandly. It is referred to obliquely as across the street from Giusepe’s office. Giusepe, a Blandly act alike, lookalike, whateveralike, is taken by Felicity Jones, a gorgeous literary agent, to meet an editor at a renowned 600 year old Italian publisher, Bodonis. My good friend Jacky Kirkpatrick, a colorful (blue and red tattooed), sweet, lovely filmmaker (WMHT) and screenwriter, begged off my Schenectady, NY, MOHU event last weekend because she was due at an Occupy Wall Street rally.
The area is also the setting for Blandly’s novellette, “The Underground.” described as a Ground Zero Green Zone where Trancegirl and Dancegirl fend for themselves in a post apocalyptic urban world.
The Ground Zero Green Zone, Trancegirl and Dancegirl
As soon as the 1% contributes more to the other 99% the Occupy mission will conclude.